- 1 Dad's Lists
- 2 "The List"
The Short List
The three things that I want most are:
- people to go fishing with me
- people to play board games with me
- people to introduce me to new restaurants that I haven't eaten at before.
Kayaking (Roughly in order of importance, but not necessarily price):
Fold & Stow Plug-in Cart - 80047001
Gear Bucket-Deep - 71704021
Gear Bucket-3 pack - 71706001
H-Crate Soft Cover - 72020097
Rectangular Twist and Seal Hatch Kit - 71707003
Rectangular Bucket - 71709002MirageDrive Carry Bag - 80024
Livewell - 72020077
- This is a little old now...
- I understand that the extended edition of the final Hobbit movie just dropped on DVD... I don't own any of them, and I've only seen the first one.
- Malka Older - Infomocracy; Null States; State Techtonics (Trilogy)
- John Scalzi - Unlocked; Lock In; Head On (Trilogy)
- Ann Leckie - Ancillary Sword; Ancillary Justice; Ancillary Mercy (Trilogy)
- Cixin Liu / Ken Liu - The Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest, Death’s End (Trilogy)
- John Scalzi - Red Shirts
- Daniel H. Wilson - Robopocalypse; Robogenesis
- Martha Wells - Murderbot series (All Systems Red, Artificial Condition, Rogue Protocol, Exit Strategy, Network Effect)
- Seanan McGuire - The Wayward Children Series - (Every Heart a Doorway, Down Among the Sticks and Bones, Beneath the Sugar Sky, In An Absent Dream, Come Tumbling Down)
- Lois McMaster Bujold - World of the Five Gods series (The Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, The Hallowed Hunt, Penric's Demon, Penric and the Shaman, Penric’s Mission, Penric's Fox, Mira's Last Dance, The Prisoner of Limnos, The Orphans of Raspay) (Because)
- David Crowder - I Know a Ghost
Games (roughly in order of interest):
- Helpers of Catan
- Catan Scenarios - Crop Trust
- Fishermen of Catan
- Magic Maze.
- 5 minute dungeon.
- Railroad Ink Note: comes in two versions - Red and Blue, a bundle of both would be fantastic!
- Renegade Or at Amazon
- 5 minute dungeon (timed coop)
- micropolis Over priced at Amazon, try here instead
- Agricola: All creatures big and small - Big Box edition
- Space Cadets
- I need one Raspberry Pi 4 to use as a treadmill computer.
- I have a project in mind that requires high quality audio
- I found an interesting article on using a "Kalin's Worm Threader" for bluegill fishing with artificial worms.
- I'm always in need of thin pencil bobbers. Lately, I've been using up the "slip bobber" kind...
- I've been looking at fishing lights (lights that float, or are submerged beneath a float), but I haven't picked out a specific one that I'm stuck on yet.
- I've been looking at worm boxes. I've got a small one, but it really needs bedding, worm food, and worms... Or maybe a bigger one.
The Longer List
Is now down at the bottom of the page... and is slightly out of date.
The Dream List
- I'd like to go back to the Boundary Waters and canoe for a week.
- I'd like to go fishing in Canada
- I'd like to see a concert in Red Rocks Amphitheater
- I'd like to see a musical on Broadway
- I'd like to hike down into the Grand Canyon
- I'd like to see Alaska
- I'd like to return to Hawaii
- I'd like to have another "Catan Tournament"
- I'd like to climb Mt. Princeton
Pages of things I've noted for others:
- A page FromDadToMom
- A page FromDadToTom
- A page FromDadToJenny
- A page FromDadToJon
- A page FromDadToJamey
Links to other pages
- Information about Editing Our Wiki.
- I should do better at collecting Fishing Information.
- I moved some stuff to a page of random rants.
- I study the stock market a bit, so here are some Stock Market Links.
- This is another page of specific stock market tactic research: SwingTrading
- I've got a page where I'm collecting links to onlineEducation.
- Computer related things that I want to do later: Dads To Do List
- A list of music related web sites: MusicSites
- Info about CamerasNLenses
- There's also DadsTemporaryJunkList
- I also have an inexhaustible backlog of Links To Read
- Which need to migrate to a list of Curated Links
- I'm forever and always looking for info on how to repair things, so I have Dad's Repair Research Links
- I am keeping a list of projects that I might actually do some day when I'm not continuously running after my children: Pie-in-the-sky Projects
I miss hiking - http://americanhiking.org.
Here's the short list.
- SF Series: Blindsight, Echopraxia - Peter Watts
- SF Series: Jumper, Reflex, Impulse, Griffin's Story, Exo - Steven Gould
- Apparently, Christopher (J.R.R.'s son) pulled together twelve volumes of the History of Middle Earth.
- Non-Fic Book: Gravity's Engines - Caleb Scharf
The longer list:
- Pencil bobbers
- pan fish hooks
- split shot weights
- a medium sized floating muskie lure
- Fishing: Spinner baits
- Fishing: Jig heads, plain or painted, smaller sizes (like 1/16 or 1/32)
science fiction books
- John Birmingham - Angels of Vengeance (third in a series, I just read the first two that someone gave me for Christmas!)
- Paolo Bacigalupi - Shipbreaker
- Paolo Bacigalupi - The Drowned Cities
- Iain M. Banks - The Player of Games (with, or without any of the other nine books in "The Culture" series)
- Elizabeth Bear - All the Windwracked Stars; By the Mountain Bound; The Sea Thy Mistress
- Holly Black - Red Glove and Black Heart
- Ben Bova - Transhuman
- Jessica Brody - Unremembered
- M. M. Buckner - Gravity Pilot
- Orson Scott Card - The Lost Gate
- Adam Christopher - The Burning Dark
- S.D. Crockett - After the Snow
- Justin Cronin - The Passage
- A.M. Dellamonica - Indigo Blue; Blue Magic
- Cory Doctorow - Homeland
- Sharon Lynn Fisher - The Ophelia Prophecy
- William Gibson - The Peripheral
- David S. Goyer and Michael Cassutt - Heaven's War
- David S. Goyer and Michael Cassutt - Heaven’s Shadow
- Mira Grant - Feed
- Karen Healey - Guardian of the Dead
- Jim C. Hines - Libriomancer
- Nina Kiriki Hoffman - A Fistful of Sky
- Kasuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
- Kij Johnson - At the Mouth of the River of Bees
- Guy Gavriel Kay - Under Heaven
- Guy Gavriel Kay - River of Stars
- Yoon Ha Lee - Conservation of Shadows
- Ursula K. LeGuin - Where On Earth
- Ursula K. LeGuin - Outer Space, Inner Lands
- Ursula K. Le Guin - The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume One: Where on Earth
- Ursula K. Le Guin - The Unreal and the Real: Selected Stories Volume Two: Outer Space, Inner Lands
- Eric C. Leuthardt - Red Devil 4
- M.J. Locke - Up Against It
- Lynne Matson - Nil
- Tim Maughan - Paintwork
- China Mieville - The City and the City
- China Mieville - Railsea
- China Mieville - Embassytown
- Elizabeth Moon - The Speed of Dark
- Chris Moriarty - Spin State, Spin Control, Ghost Spin
- Naomi Novik - Uprooted
- Susan Palwick - Shelter
- William Campbell Powell - Expiration Day
- Douglas Preston - The Kraken Project
- Hannu Rajaniemi - The Fractal Prince
- Nathaniel Rich - Odds Against Tomorrow
- Geoff Ryman - Air
- Brandon Sanderson - The Rithmatist
- Rober J. Sawyer - WWW:Wonder
- Karl Schroeder - Lockstep
- Karl Schroeder - Lady of Mazes
- Alison Sinclair - Cavalcade
- Brian Francis Slattery - Lost Everything
- Bruce Sterling - Islands in the Net
- Charles Stross - Accelerando
- Charles Stross - Halting State
- Charles Stross - Rule 34
- Michael R. Underwood - Geekomancy
- Greg VanEekhout - The Boy at the End of the World
- Carrie Vaughn - Steel
- Carrie Vaughn - Voices of Dragons
- Vernor Vinge - Marooned In Real Time
- Vernor Vinge - A Fire Upon the Deep
- Peter Watts - Blindsight
- Fran Wilde - Updraft, Cloudbound, Horizon
- Robert Charles Wilson - Spin; Axis; Vortex (a trilogy)
- Daniel H. Wilson - Robopocalypse
- Rick Yancey - The 5th Wave
- V.M. Zito - Return Man
- Robert Zubrin - Mars Direct: Space Exploration, the Red Planet, and the Human Future
This is a list of books that is supposed to "cure Hunger Games withdrawal symptoms":
- Lauren Oliver - Delirium; Pandemonium
- Anna Carey - Eve
- Tahereh Mafi - Shatter Me
- Veronica Roth - Divergent; Insurgent
- Ally Condie - Matched; Crossed
- Ann Aguirre - Enclave
- Paolo Bacigalupi - Shipbreaker
- Paolo Bacigalupi - The Drowned Cities
- Dan Wells - Partials
- Patrick Ness - The Chaos Walking Trilogy
- Maggie Stiefvater - Scorpio Races
- Moira Young - Blood Red Road
This is a list of "Debut SF Novels that 'Changed the World'". I have read the ones in red. I would like to read the ones in BLACK.
- Frankenstein, or The Modern Prometheus by Mary Shelley
- The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
- Chthon by Piers Anthony
- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
- Neuromancer by William Gibson
- The Cipher by Kathe Koja
- Sarah Canary by Karen Jay Fowler
- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K. Rowling (Note: I would like to read all seven of these, one right after another...)
- Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
This is a mixed list of beautifully leather bound books, mostly classics, but some newer stuff. Most notably the Gaiman, that I would really love to have on my shelf...
Books - Not SF
These were read by Dick Miller's small group book discussion group:
- Ron Hall/Denver Moore - Same Kind of Different As Me
- Barbara Ehrenriech - Nickel and Dimed
- Max Lucado - Fearless
- William Buckley - Nearer, My God
- Jim Daly - Stronger
- Eric Metaxis - Amazing Grace: William Wilburforce and the Heroic Campaign to End Slavery
- Eric Metaxis - Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
- Book: Clockwork Angels - Kevin J. Anderson + CD: Clockwork Angels - Rush
- Kurt Hanks & Larry Belliston - Rapid Viz
- Shadowfolds book, by Jeff Rutzky and Chris Palmer
- anything by Michio Kaku (I am particularly interested in everything he's written since 2006, starting with "Parallel Worlds")
- Arduino Cookbook - Michael Margolis
- The Boy Mechanic by the Editors of Popular Mechanics (ISBN: 1-58816-509-4)
Nothing lives here at the moment...
Do they even publish magazines any more?
- circuit cellar
- nuts and volts
- Games (and World of Games)
This section is woefully out of date... I still don't have any of the following, but they've lost a bit of their luster over the years.
- Far East Family Band
- The Cave Down To the Earth
- Parallel World
These are available on www.marcbonilla.com:
- The Keith Emerson Band Featuring Marc Bonilla
- Moscow (DVD)
- The Three Fates Project (Available at the end of August 2012)
- zulus on the ramparts
- Constellations: The Game of Stargazing and the Night Sky
- space hulk: death angel
- Ex Libris
- Mage Knight
- Raiders of the North Sea
- Small World
- Lanterns: The Harvest Festival
- The animusic 1 and 2 videos are currently on sale in a combo pack!!!
Note, lenses can be significantly cheaper in the nikonusa.com outlet when refurbished.
- Portrait Lenses
- Std (half body): Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.4G (best) or Nikkor AF-S 50mm f/1.8G (better)
- Close up(heads): Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.4G (too much money) or Nikkor AF-S 85mm f1.8D (slightly more realistic price)
- Tall (full body): Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.4G (too much money) or Nikkor AF-S 35mm f/1.8G (more realistic price)
- specialty Lenses:
- Close up: Nikkor AF-S DX Micro 85mm f/3.5G ED VR
- Fish Eye: Nikkor AF DX Fisheye 10.5mm f/2.8G ED (lots of money new)
- Some day, in a dream...
- Nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR
- or Nikkor AF-S 500mm f/4G ED VR (better)
- or Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR (best)
- Ok, so the really hot item right now is the Raspberry Pi 3 B+. I don't really need any of them right at the moment.
- However, there IS an audio interface that plugs in to the Raspberry Pi that I've bee nwatching... Just have to remember the name of it.
- And the book: Getting Started With Arduino
- Can be added to the Kit: Getting Started with Arduino Kit for $10 (in the accessories section).
- Book: Arduino Bots and Gadgets by Kimmo Karvinen and Tero Karvinen
- The ultimate Microcontroller Pack is pricy, but it would be a really great jump start (with the Arduino Uno for a big discount as a bundle)
- Here's another kit that would be really fun to build.
Nothing here right now...